I missed last weeks post because I was writing a research paper about the graduation work and didn’t get around to updating my blog since. You can read the paper here, I go over a lot of the topics I discussed in previous posts, but also discuss some new things. Aside from that I made the terrain sample a height map in the vertex shader to offset the height of the triangles appropriately. I also made sure that the backface culling doesn’t cull terrain with potential peaks that loom over the horizon. This video shows the results quite nicely:
As I hinted on in my last post, I will be discussing the implementation of culling for planet terrain rendering. When the camera is close to the surface, a lot of the terrain geometry is not visible, so it would not be sensible wasting CPU time on generating it or GPU time on drawing it.
Here only the necessary geometry is generated. The implementation to achieve this uses two methods combined: backface culling and frustum culling. I will discuss both methods here along with the implementation…
This week I have implemented a basic OpenGL framework for future application of the planet renderer. It can be found on Github, which will be frequently be updated to keep track of the progress of the rendering tech.
I have put some time into researching the topic of generating terrain at the size of planets with level of detail dependant on the distance of the camera.
There are a lot of different approaches to solving this problem, and it is already clear that I won’t have time to test every one of them myself, but I have identified some reoccuring themes during my time scavenging the internet, and I willl put together a summary of that. Continue reading “Planet Renderer – Week1: LOD Terrain Research”
Announcement: Starting this week, every sunday I will be writing a blog post about the progress of my graduation work.
The topic is researching and implementing the creation of a real time planet renderer, with the deadline at some point next January. This is a topic I have been wanting to approach for a while now, so I have been pushing to be allowed to implement this topic as my graduation work.
Another small update… the camera will probably arrive around Friday, because there where some problems with transferring the payment to the bank account of the reseller, and shipping takes 5 days.
After finishing an informatics test at school I had time to do some more modelling on the head. The mayor to middle details are laid down now, so I´ll probably continue with some other parts of the body.
The vintage style composited picture also makes a nice Desktop background by now IMO 😉